As mandated by Republic Act No. 11934, SIM card registration in PH has started. Here’s our ultimate guide on how to register your SIM card.
SIM card registration is required by law, and will carry penalties upon failure to comply. The registration will last until April 26, 2023, but can be extended for another 120 days. Providing false information or documents when registering will carry a prison term ranging from 6 months to 2 years, and a fine between PHP 100,000 and PHP 300,000.
There is no limit on the numbers of SIM cards a user can register.
For individuals below 18 years old and below shall be registered in the name of the parent or legal guardian. The parent’s or the guardian’s valid ID, and consent of the minor’s parent or guardian to register the SIM shall be presented.
Those travelling overseas and are using roaming services are also expected to register.
For SIM cards provided by a company for official business purposes, the company is responsible for registering them. And the company still needs to identify the actual user of the number. Ownership of the SIM remains with the company. So if the employee is no longer with the company, the company is required to inform the telco for updates.
Visiting tourists, needs to present their passport, proof of address in the Philippines, and a return ticket to their respective country. For foreigners with non-tourist visa, they are required to present their passport, proof of address in the Philippines, and other pertinent documents.
For any problems or questions, assistance services will be made available at retail and service centers of the service providers. Their representatives can also help you in registering your SIM cards.
Be careful of spam messages from scammers posed as SIM registration representatives. Do not click any links from unknown senders or unverified accounts. SIM card registration is free, you should not be charged any amount to register.
How to Register your SIM Card
You can register your SIM card by following the steps below.
Smart and TNT SIM Cards
- Visit the Smart SIM card registration site: https://simreg.smart.com.ph.
- Enter your 10-digit mobile number (excluding “0”), example 9211234567.
- Verify your SIM number via an OTP (One-Time Pin).
- Select the type of registration, and select your nationality.
- Select the type of valid ID you will be using to register, this is important since the form will auto fill-up based on the scanned ID.
- Take a photo of your valid id (just retry if it fails, the ID must be readable), and scan your face.
- The form will be filled up automatically, just click “Next”.
- Fill up your address information, and click “Next”.
- Review your answers, tick the checkbox to confirm that it is correct, and click “Next”.
- You will receive a confirmation that your registration was successful. Save the control number given as it will serve as your confirmation of registration.
Smart Communications, Inc. is also giving free 3GB of data valid for 24 hours for a successful registration.
Globe and TM SIM Cards
- Visit the Smart SIM card registration site: https://new.globe.com.ph/simreg.
- Enter your 10-digit mobile number (excluding “0”), example 9211234567, and click register.
- You will receive an OTP (One-Time Pin) via SMS, enter the OTP to verify.
- Fill out the form, then click “Next”.
- Choose your ID Type, fill out the ID number.
- Take a photo of your ID and a selfie, then click “Next”.
- Tick the checkboxes to agree to the terms and conditions, then click “Submit”.
- You will get to a confirmation page for a successful registration. Save the reference number given as proof of registration.
DITO SIM Cards
- Download and install the DITO app if you haven’t installed it yet.
- Open the app and click the SIM card registration banner.
- Fill out the form and upload a picture of your valid ID and a selfie.
- Verify your mobile number via OTP (One-Time Pin).
- Tick the checkboxes and click Submit.
- You will receive a confirmation for a successful registration. Save the reference number as proof of registration.
DITO is also offering bonus data to its subscribers for a successful registration.
List of Acceptable IDs for SIM Card Registration
Any of the following identification cards or documents with photo will be accepted during the registration.
- Philippine Identification System ID (Philippine Identification Card/National ID)
- Social Security Service ID
- Government Service Insurance System e-Card
- Driver’s License
- National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Clearance
- Police Clearance
- Firearm’s License to Own and Possess ID
- Professional Regulation Commission ID
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines ID
- Overseas Workers Welfare Administration ID
- Bureau of Internal Revenue ID
- Voter’s ID
- Senior Citizen’s Card
- Unified Multi-purpose Identification Card
- Persons with Disabilities Card
- Other valid government-issued ID with photo
For postpaid subscribers, your service provider already have your data when you applied. All you have to do to register is just follow a few instructions.
Smart Postpaid subscribers need to text “YES” to 5858 to confirm the personal information and government-issued IDs that they already submitted.
For Globe Postpaid subscribers, all you need to do is wait for further instructions or additional questions from Globe.
Failure or Refusal to Register
Failure or refusal to register will have your SIM cards deactivated. Users who will miss the deadline and got their SIM card deactivated may still process the reactivation of their SIMs not later than five days after the period set by the law.
Refusal to register will carry the following penalties as stated by the law.
- First Offense: PHP 100,000 to PHP 300,000
- Second Offense: PHP 300,000 to PHP 500,000
- Third Offense: PHP 500,000 to PHP 1,000,000
The telecommunications companies ensure their subscribers that their data will be secure. If the companies, their agents, or employees breach confidentiality, or if they directly or indirectly reveal subscriber’s data, they will be fined PHP 500,000 to PHP 4,000,000.
If you haven’t already, register your SIM card now. We will update this SIM card registration guide as soon as new details are announced.